Memory foams are popular for the softness and comfort they provide. Those who don’t buy the mattress often go for a memory foam topper to get the feel. To clean a memory foam mattress topper is something you will have to do to keep it fresh and clean.
This is not just for personal hygiene but also to protect you from allergens. Ideally, you should wash a memory foam mattress topper at least once or twice a year.
This brings us to the crux of today’s post. A memory foam mattress topper is not one you can wash as you do any other type. This is so because of the mattress’s delicate structure. Throwing it in a washing machine will likely damage it.
For this reason, we are going to present you with tips to help you clean a memory foam mattress topper. One method will be for basic superficial cleaning and the other you will do when you need to wash the whole mattress topper.
It’s great you’re still with us. Let’s dive into the process and have you clean a memory foam mattress topper like a pro.
Clean a Memory Foam Mattress Topper: The Basic Method
Before we go into the details, let us first tell you the things you will need to perform the process.
- Space to lay the memory foam topper
- A handheld vacuum of any other type with a brush tool or an upholstery attachment
- Pieces of cotton or towel cloths
- Non-abrasive cleaner (detergent or liquid)
- Spray bottle
- Proper ventilation
- Time, the topper has to properly get dry to avoid damage
With all those in place, as well as your time and motivation, you’re well ready to clean your memory foam mattress topper.
Now let’s get on with the process.
- Lay the mattress topper on a spacious part of the floor. You might want to put a tarp or any other type of protector before laying the memory foam on it. This will protect the topper and well as your floor.
- If there are no stains, you can just use a vacuum. For a superficial routine cleaning, you can just use a powerful vacuum with an appropriate attachment over the surface of the memory foam topper. This will suck in hairs, dust mites, and allergens.
- If there are stains, you can use a homemade cleaner. Mix equal parts of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Apply it onto the stain and let it sit for 10 minutes. Afterward, use a soft toothbrush on the area then blot dry with a microfiber cloth.
- Alternatively, you can use an enzyme cleaner. This one from Simple Solution works great and will even neutralize odors as well as kill bacteria. Spray it on the stain and work it with a toothbrush. Blot it dry with a cleaning cloth and let it air dry.
- You can use baking soda to combat odors. If you just want to remove certain odors and there are no stains to deal with, this approach will work just fine. Sprinkle baking soda over the memory foam topper and let t sit for at least two hours (depending on how much time you have). In that time, it would have absorbed the odor. The longer you leave it on, the more it will absorb. Afterward, use a vacuum cleaner to suck it off the mattress.
- Don’t forget to flip over the topper. The other side of the topper will need cleaning too. When you clean one side, you can flip the topper over and sleep on the other side. That way you can have a fresh side to sleep on. Ideally, you should clean both sides of the topper, alternately or in the same cleaning session.
These methods can be applied to the memory foam topper for your pets too. This is all you need to know to quickly clean a memory foam mattress topper. Due to the ease, you can do this once every week or two.
How to Wash a Memory Foam Mattress Topper
There are some types of stains that will require you to wash the mattress topper as a whole. Perhaps, it could be a routine cleaning to keep it fresh and free of particles and allergens.
Whichever it is, washing a memory foam mattress topper can be tricky. This method is wetter than the previous one. Memory foam is delicate so you have to handle with care.
- Vacuum the surface. Just like we did in the basic cleaning. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove debris, hairs, and allergens.
- Take the memory foam topper to the bathtub or outside. Depending on what is convenient for you, you can do the cleaning indoors or outdoors. If you’re taking it outside, you might need a tarp to lay the topper on.
- Apply some enzyme or oxygen-based cleaner liberally. You can try this Rocco and Roxie or Woolite for the best results. Spray on the memory foam and get it wet. Allow it sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse off the cleaner. If you’re cleaning the topper indoors, you can use a showerhead. If outdoors, you can use a hose. The aim is to clean off the detergent with cold water.
- Gently drain excess water out of the foam. You can wring and squeeze a memory foam like you will your fabrics. The best way is to fold the topper and press down on it to push the water out. As a safety precaution, wear rubber gloves when doing this. Memory foams are often treated with chemicals to reduce how flammable they are.
- Mix one part vinegar and 4 parts water in a spray bottle. After rinsing the topper, spray the vinegar solution all over the memory foam and rinse again.
- Dry the memory foam topper. Now that the cleaning is done, it’s time to get it dry. Force out excess water as we suggested earlier. You can use a hairdryer, in low setting, to aid the process. Just make sure it is not too close to the foam or it will damage it. Also do not place the memory foam under direct sunlight. Put it under a shade where sufficient air will blow over it. We suggest you follow this cleaning process in the morning so there is enough time for the topper to dry. Make sure it is completely free of moisture before putting it back on the bed. This is to avoid the development of mildew.
Now you’re ready to clean a memory foam mattress topper for whatever reason. If you do the basic method often enough, you might not even need to wash it at all for a long time. So, be sure to keep a cleaning routine for your memory foam mattress topper. If you find these cleaning tips useful, kindly share it with friends and family, they will love you for it. If you want more information like this, explore our site. Thank you for your time and see you again.