To clean a Dyson vacuum filter is easy and important for the vacuum’s optimal function. These filters are HEPA standard which means they can trap 99.97% of dust and allergens down to 0.3 microns. That’s a huge feat considering the average human hair is 50 microns in diameter.
This is great for Dyson vacuum users who are allergic or asthmatic. The air flowing out of the vacuum’s exhaust is clean enough to breathe. So, they can use it without fear.
Why you should clean a Dyson vacuum filter
Dyson vacuums do not lose suction because of their cyclone technology. However, when their filters get dirty or clogged, the suction power will drop.
So, if you want optimal performance for the price you paid, this is one maintenance you can’t skip on.
Dyson makes different types of vacuums. However, the most popular ones are the uprights and the famed cordless models. So, we’ll be focusing on those.
Find and clean a Dyson filter – Upright
Dyson has 3 variants of upright vacuums: the Cinetic Big Ball, Dyson Ball Animal, and Dyson Ball Multi Floor.
The Cinetic does not have filters so, we won’t bother about that. In case you’re wondering, it handles microscopic dirt with its cyclone tubes (the crown-like design on its dust cup).
Now let’s move on to locating and cleaning the filters on the other two. They both have two filters to deal with.
- First, make sure the vacuum is powered off and unplugged.
- Push the button by the handle on top of the dust cup to detach it. There’s a latch at the other end of the same handle. Pull that up to lift the handle along with a cover to expose the filter.
- Pull out the tube-like filter.
- To access the second filter, check on the right side of the ball above the brush head.
- There’s a knob you can use to unscrew the lid. Take it off to expose the dome-like filter.
- Tap them a few times to let out dust.
- Now take them to the sink and run cold water over them gently scrubbing off dirt. Tap some more to let out any debris.
- Squeeze the tube filter to let out excess water; shake off water from the other one as well.
- Leave them to dry out for 24 hours.
Make sure the filters are completely dry before you re-install. You don’t want the vacuum sucking up moisture into its motor.
Find and clean a Dyson Cordless
Dyson cordless vacuums are now the flagship models of the brand. For all the good reasons, these vacuums are on different levels at the top rung of the cordless vacuum hierarchy.
To clean a Dyson vacuum filter in a cordless is the same as we have explained above. So, we’ll only talk about locating it this time.
Some Dyson cordless models have one filter while others have two. The filter on all of them can be pulled out from the center of the crown-like design on the handle.
For those that have two filters, the other one is at the back of the handle just above your grip.
As you have noticed, all Dyson vacuum filters are washable. Another awesome thing about them is that they are designed to last the lifetime of the vacuum.
In other words, you won’t need to be buying replacement filters unless the one you have is damaged.
In conclusion, keep clean a Dyson vacuum filter and the suction will always be optimal. Remember, that the scope of this post is limited to cleaning the filter does not mean that it is the only thing you need to clean. General maintenance is necessary for the longevity of your vacuum.